Collagen is a vital structural protein which is found in all animal tissue. It holds muscles to bones, provides structural support for veins, keeps skin looking young and cartilage strong. Vitamin C is required for collagen synthesis, along with two amino acids. When you don’t have enough collagen, your body is weaker – and this can lead to aneurysms, sports injuries and even stroke.
A high dose vitamin C IV can boost your collagen production, leading not only to a healthier body, but a better looking one too! Collagen can turn back the clock on wrinkles and photodamage (those dark spots caused by sunlight).
Your body needs vitamin C to make L-carnitine, which helps you burn fat for energy. Fatigue has been discovered to be one of the first signs of vitamin C depletion, and in several studies a high dose of vitamin C has been shown to decrease exhaustion. A vitamin C drip can leave you feeling energised, healthy and ready to go.
Vitamin C is believed to have a direct effect against bacteria and viruses. It can treat the common cold and decrease the length by up to 1.5 days in some cases. There are many reasons why vitamin C is able to help in this way:
- It supports the production of interferons, which enable cells to begin their protective defences.
- It enhances the function of phagocytes (the white blood cells which surround and capture dangerous particles – such as viruses).
- It enhances the production of nitrogen oxide, which is able to kill those captured particles.
- It supports the production and activity of antibodies, which is important for a healthy immune system.
These are just a few of the many ways in which vitamin C is able to provide immune support and protect against illness. A vitamin C IV drip can, therefore, help you to avoid illness and reduce symptoms if you’re already ill.
We’ve heard a lot about antioxidants – but to recap, they are the special nutrients that help to protect our cells against free radicals. Free radicals are rogue molecules with an unpaired electron. Electrons like to be in pairs, and free radicals roam around your body attacking cells to steal an electron. This causes cell damage and even cell death. Antioxidants help to fight free radicals by neutralising them with a spare electron. This protects cells and keeps your body working the way it should.
Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant, and because of this it has a role in disease prevention.
Vitamin C As A Cancer Treatment
Following some really encouraging results, more and more studies are being done into high doses of vitamin C as a cancer treatment. It is believed that the antioxidant and collagen producing properties of vitamin C can provide enormous benefits for those suffering from cancer. Here are some exciting findings:
- Laboratory studies (where tumor cells are used to test a substance to see if it has any anticancer effects) found that high levels of vitamin C may kill cancer cells.
- Two studies have found that cancer patients receiving vitamin C IV therapy as a sole treatment had a better quality of life and fewer side effects than those who did not.
- In a small study of 9 patients with advanced pancreatic cancer, patients were given chemotherapy once a week for 3 weeks, along with a vitamin C infusion twice a week for 4 weeks during each treatment cycle. The disease did not progress over an average of 6 months in these patients.
- Another study compared patients who had chemotherapy alone and patients who had chemotherapy and a vitamin C IV drip or injection. The patients who had the vitamin C drip as well had fewer side effects from the chemotherapy.
- Patients with non-small cell lung cancer were given standard treatment as well as IV vitamin C. Patients had better overall survival and fewer side effects compared to control groups.